Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:35:21 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@ve7tcp.ampr.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Radius login via getty

    >> Use SASL instead.  Unlike PAM, thee is an RFC for SASL.

    The> 	Boy, does that ever make alot of sense...both Solaris
    The> and Linux are adopting PAM as their authentication schemes,
    The> and are designing various modules for it, but let's adopt
    The> something because, hey, it has an RFC?

IMAP4 and ACAP already use SASL. SMTP will shortly. You're going to
have to install the infrastructure anyway, so you might as well use it.

PAM is an adhoc bunch of gunk. I will take an RFC defined protocol any
day over PAM, just because I want to know that my applications will
be able to authenticate when I need them to. Anointment by Solaris
or Linux does not an IETF standard make.

--lyndon