Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:26:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        root@isis.dynip.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Common Question

Really in depth:

root@isis.dynip.com wrote,
> Linux started , may be , some a year or so before FreeBSD, and has
> become very common, even the guys who don't know a shit about
> computers, when you tell them I am running unix at home, of course
> refering to your FreeBSD machine, they immediately tell you, Linux ??
>
> I'm sick of it, now I hear that IBM is making some deal with Linux
> people for installing Linux on their new machines, I am very very sad,
> and very very gelous.

Any computer coming out of the manufacturer without a M$ OS on it is a
Good Thing. Feeling sad, I do not understand. Jealous, I can.

> I wan too know, in full detail, the difference between FreeBSD,

The 'FreeBSD and Linux' section of Greg Lehey's _The Complete FreeBSD_
is a start.

> and Linux, why is linux more popular,

You said it in your first line. Linux was first due mainly to some
legal issues with AT&T.

> why the heck FreeBSD doesnot have
> support for simple things like Parralel port scanners,

I do not know if a parallel port scanner is a 'simple' thing, but no
one has written one. Device drivers for FreeBSD are generally written
by the users. Someone with the know-how to make a driver for your
scanner has either not had the time or inclination to make one. With
Linux, with more users, it is more likely someone has been in such a
position and made a driver. And now, Linux is getting to the point
where manufacturers may write Linux drivers for their devices (which
is good for FreeBSD; modifying a Linux driver for FreeBSD is typically
a _lot_ easier than making one from scratch).

> why the linux
> ports is few Gigabytes, why I am still pretty sure that FreeBSD is
> better.

Again, simple, it has existed longer among more users.

> I wan to know why every time I go to a web page on the net to hunt for
> extra-portal (like extra-terresterial) software, I find the following
> Menu:
>
> 	Windows 95/98
> 	Windows NT
> 	OS2
> 	Machintosh
> 	Linux
>
> Is this list missing something.

Yes. It's missing the source code which any decent package is
delivered as.

> --
> - MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.                                ~o  .^.

You should put a 'Reply-To' line in your mail containing your 'static'
address if that is where you prefer replies from this list go.

I'm also trying to figure out your BUAG in the .sig. Q-bert standing
at the base of some stairs, wearing stilts, and being attacked by
huge, flying sperm?