Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 06:56:40 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, mark@grondar.za, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who built XFree86 with Kerberos?

> very hard to detect on the building machine.  The scheduling, which
> didn't leave him any time to put the ELF packages up for testing
> before the release, is at fault.

You can say that again.  Despite having plenty of warning, and we're
talking several month's worth here, the task was apparently dumped at
the very last moment on Justin and Steve.  I know that Steve certainly
wasn't very happy about how this was done and it certainly took Mike
and I by surprise as well - there was some even doubt, for awhile
there, as to whether 3.0 would ship with a packages collection at all.

In any case, all finger-pointing and indignation aside, if the
ports/packages phase of each new release is to occur both on-time and
with minimum stress on all concerned, we're going to have to figure
out well in advance just who's going to take on the job of physically
generating and segregating all the packages and distfiles.  I
certainly don't want to be scratching my head and trying to figure out
who's "job" it's even supposed to be a day before a release is due and
the various ports volunteers don't want to be stuck with doing the job
on a moment's notice, either.

My suggestion would be that we either: a) go to some sort of
automation scheme which [re]builds packages on an ongoing basis and,
at release time, I just take a snapshot of the collection or b) We try
appointing a ports/packages releasemeister who's responsible for doing
in ports what I do for src each time a release rolls around.  This
person could be paid since it's important to Walnut Creek CDROM
that packages and distfiles be rendered into ISO images periodically,
especially now that we have this "toolkit" CD for FreeBSD in addition
to the usual 4 CD sets.

Thoughts?

- Jordan