Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 22:24:14 +0200
From:      Hanno Liem <freebsd@dark4ce.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help needed - urgent. 4.4-R panics during install

Help!

I am installing FreeBSD 4.4 from the burned ISO images on an Intel ISP1100
machine. While unpacking distributions it panics with a Page Fault error,
syncs disks, gives up and reboots. I got this more verbose warning once,
mostly it just says:

"Panic: non-maskable interrupt trap"

and dies.

I have tried changing BIOS settings (UDMA mostly) - no effect.
I have configured the kernel to remove all conflicts - no effect.
I have tried installing over FTP instead of CD - no effect.
I have done a hardware test - which turned out okay. (memory, cpu, etc.)

The only thing that is strange is that when booting, the Intel box says it
has a Pentium III-866 on board, while it should be a Celeron-850.

This is getting very frustrating, and this machine needs to go into
production soon :-(

I'm downloading the 4.3 install ISO now to see if it produces the same
effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really have no idea what causes
this; never had problems installing before...

Han