Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:10:23 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "dangerously dedicated"

> Why is using /dev/da0a stupid?  FreeBSD is the only system I've
> encountered that totally locks up (during a 3.3-RELEASE install from
> CD) when there is no fdisk disk label.  Is that why it is stupid?

You can't boot from a disk that doesn't have an MBR on it.  This is a
feature of the PC BIOS, and it can't be worked around.

> BSD/OS and Linux (RedHat 6.1) both deal with the lack of an fdisk disk
> label just fine, and BSD/OS doesn't even require one, letting you use
> the direct unix partitioning scheme.  I much prefer it that way as it
> just makes sense on a dedicated box, which is what all of mine are.

You're out of your depth here, unfortunately.  Both of these systems do
install an MBR, they just don't tell you that they are.

Regardless of what you think, the only correct way to divvy up a disk on
a PC is to start with an MBR and work down from there.  There is no other
way to do this properly, and to think otherwise merely demonstrates your
ignorance.