Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 20:17:07 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail traffic analysis

jack (jack@germanium.xtalwind.net) wrote:
> Today Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
> > >I'm not sure how to monitor sendmail with SNMP, and would be
> > >interested in hearing from others what tools they use to monitor
> > >SMTP traffic on their FreeBSD systems.
> >
> > Depends on what and how you want to monitor.  For BIND, I wrote a
> > little script that stuffs those annoying statistics dumps into an
> > RRD.  You could conceivably do the same thing with sendmail,
> > although you would have to collect your own stats by analyzing the
> > log files.
>
> Or use mailstats(1).

I wrote a perl script to parse the named stats log file and return the
number of queries. These results are available via snmp by using the
'exec' feature of ucd-snmpd to call the script. I use a shell script and
snmpget(1) on my monitoring machine to collect the results and update a
rrdtool database every 5 minutes.

It would be easy to parse the output of mailstats(1) and return the
results via snmp.

Cheers,

--

Mark Drayton