Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 18:19:47 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UUCP (important clarification)

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I work for an ISP and we make a decent amount of money selling UUCP to
> > small businesses. It works a whole lot better than the 'ETRN' SMTP
> > hackery.
>
> Er, what exactly don't you like about ETRN?  I admit that "TURN" was
> definitely hackery (and Post.Office's XREMOTEQUEUE), but ETRN seems
> to me to be the way to go.  It beats the finger-based triggerring
> hack all to heck...
>
>                                         Terry Lambert
>                                         terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

The troubel with ETRN
is that it requires the server to start a queue-run

if you have 20,000 items in the queue, then EVERY ONE
of them has to be examined to see if it's for the user..

a queu run can take 10 minutes in this case.
(e.g. at netcom they had this problem..)
they don't like ETRN..
figure..
1000 clients connecting per hour..
4 minutes cpu+disk time per client + disk activity (lots)

== about 60 time the cpu/disk resources that you have.

ETRN SUCKS
or more correctly..
sendmail's way of queueing mail is not compatible
with ETRN.