Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 10:35:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bash echo turning off

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> K. Marsh wrote:
>
> > I'm having odd problems with bash, which I just began using a week back.
> > Sometimes an x-term running bash will mysteriously stop echoing commands
> > as I type them in.  It still accepts commands and executes them, but I
> > can't see them.
>
> $ stty echo
>
> should solve this. Perhaps you know this, and want to stop it happening
> altogether, in which case I don't know. As you said, upgrading bash may
> help.

I've narrowed down the occurance of this problem.  If I terminate man
mid-page with ^C, then echo works for one more command, and then turns
off.  "stty echo" does turn it back on.  I think an upgrade will fix it
for good.  Thanks!

  Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering