Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 19:58:33 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Package creation, installing in a different place

Hi folks,

I'm not sure if -ports is the right place to ask this question.  Pointers
to better lists accepted.

I'm trying to build a FreeBSD package using pkg_create(1), and I'm trying
to do this outside of the ports system.

Suppose I have /tmp/foo.ps, and I want to package this in to foo.tgz.
When the user runs "pkg_add foo.tgz", "foo.ps" should be installed
in to /usr/local/share/foo/foo.ps.

However, on my system, I'm building the package from /tmp, and
/usr/local/share/foo doesn't exist.  I don't want to have to copy foo.ps
in to /usr/local/share/foo before I build the package.

Can I do this?  After spending some time experimenting with pkg_create,
I don't think I can.  It looks as though it expects the package to be
created from an installed version of the file, rather than from a version
in a staging area.

I'd expected to be able to do something like

     % pwd
     /tmp
     % ls
     foo.ps
     % cat PLIST
     @name Foo (Postscript)
     @srcdir .
     @cwd /usr/local/share/foo
     foo.ps
     % pkg_create -c "-Foo" -d "-Foo" -f PLIST foo

and have it create foo.tgz.  But it fails with

    tar: can't add file foo.ps : No such file or directory

Any ideas?

    There's some milk in the fridge about to go off. . . and there it goes.