Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 18:50:22 -0400
From:      "Bradley Dunn" <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: redundant news systems

> Everyone should be concerned with reducing network traffic.
>
> DNS is cached by everyone and everything, because although it seems
> short and sweet, it's often slow.  Loading down nameservers unnecessarily
> makes matters worse.
>
> You and your systems aren't the only ones affected.

Then whose are? Remember, we are talking about news here. News servers are
typically located on the same LAN as the DNS server and the dialup servers.
Typically the people accessing the news servers are people dialed into the
access servers.

I don't buy the argument that a low ttl will load a name server either. A
32MB Pentium will handle hundreds of queries per second, provided it isn't
doing anything other than DNS.

> Richard

-BD