Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:40:21 -0400
From:      Sunny Dubey <dubeys@bxscience.edu>
To:        Ian Morrison <ian@darq.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging Questions

On Saturday 22 September 2001 02:01 pm, you wrote:

<snip>

> > Additionally, the hand book states that there is an option to allow
> > non-IP packets (like ARP) to flow through the bridge.  Is this something
> > I should concern myself with, or just not bother at all.
>
> It depends exactly on what you're doing.  What exactly are you doing?
> You probably don't need it, would be my guess, but then you might...

I plan to be running various servers behind this bridged firewall.  They are
standard services like httpd, pop+imap+smpt+ssl, sftp, dns, etc.

However my setup is a little odd.  It is as followed ...

Internet/Out side world --> Cisco Router (NAT being done here) --> cisco
swtich --> bridge --> servers

I'm am still unsure of if I should or shouldn't allow for arp packets.  And
if I do have to enable the "IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT" will whatever other
ipfw rules I use still work??

thank you very much for any info you might enlighten me with

Sunny Dubey