Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 18:26:33 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Bob Willcox <bob@pmr.com>, Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>, hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed" on recent 3.1-stable

On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 04:11:54PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > It's actually the loader complaining, and it's typically "old loader,
> > > new kernel" symptoms.  Having said that, your world build should have
> > > given you a new loader.
> >
> > How can I verify that I have a new loader?  Where is it located?
> >
> > My /boot directory contains:
> >
> > bob@obiwan-p3 /boot> ls -l
> > total 294
> > -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel     512 Apr  4 09:59 boot0
> > -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel     512 Apr  4 09:59 boot1
> > -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel    7680 Apr  4 09:59 boot2
> > -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  131072 Apr  4 09:59 loader
>
> Gosh, you know this just might be it.  And it's been updated, so the
> problem is that it doesn't like your kernel.
>
> It's possible that you have outdated sources, but apart from that I
> can't think of anything that would cause it to fail if it's up to date.
>
> Try booting the kernel directly from the boot2 phase; when the spinner
> stops briefly before the loader starts, hit a key and specify the name
> of the new kernel.

I have done that (its the only way I can currently boot the system).
When I specify the *old* kernel it boots fine.  Is there some specific
outdated source I should look for?  I am now suspecting that that might
be the cause.

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox             The man who follows the crowd will usually get no
bob@luke.pmr.com        further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is