Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 1996 02:57:39 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: devfs questions

>Alas, the next would be fsck'ing, and so the big question is: how are
>the slice and partition entries supposed to be created?

This doesn't work right yet.  Initially there are only whole-disk device
names.  Opening these creates the slice device names.  Opening the
slices creates the partition device names.  I think the root partition
gets opened by number (dev_t) so all the slice names and all the
partitions on the root slice get created.

Opening everything at attach time would probably work OK for fixed
media.  It fails for removable media.  Consider floppies.  Due to
your second-favourite PC design feature (:-), there is no good way
to tell if there is a floppy in the drive.

I've just fixed the floppy devfs names.  The unit numbering was wrong
(fd1 was type 8), the links to fd.xxxx were bogus, and most of the
fd.xxxx's weren't created.  There are now too many devices:

fd0		fd0f		fd1c		rfd0.820	rfd1.360
fd0.1200	fd0g		fd1d		rfd0a		rfd1.720
fd0.1440	fd0h		fd1e		rfd0b		rfd1.800
fd0.1480	fd1		fd1f		rfd0c		rfd1.820
fd0.1720	fd1.1200	fd1g		rfd0d		rfd1a
fd0.720		fd1.1440	fd1h		rfd0e		rfd1b
fd0.800		fd1.1480	rfd0		rfd0f		rfd1c
fd0.820		fd1.360		rfd0.1200	rfd0g		rfd1d
fd0a		fd1.720		rfd0.1440	rfd0h		rfd1e
fd0b		fd1.800		rfd0.1480	rfd1		rfd1f
fd0c		fd1.820		rfd0.1720	rfd1.1200	rfd1g
fd0d		fd1a		rfd0.720	rfd1.1440	rfd1h
fd0e		fd1b		rfd0.800	rfd1.1480

Note that fd0.360 doesn't exist since fd0 is 1440K, and fd1.1720
doesn't exist since fd1 is 1200K.  The devices [r]fd[0-1][a-h]
are fairly useless links to [r]fd[0-1].  The 1480K and 1720K devices
are actually 1476K and 1722K and should be renamed.

I normally use a sliced version of this which only generates whole-disk
devices except of course when there are real partitions.  Slicing and
partitioning of the fd.xxxx devices isn't supported.

Bruce