Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 20:24:26 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status and future of sound drivers ?

> > Well it's not, so whomever takes over audio, I'd hope they'd also pay
> > some attention to the music support. :-)
>
> But the audio people might have no interest in music stuff and
> viceversa. Of course if some fixes come out for free, they will
> certainly show up. But, personally, I would not spend a single hour
> on fixing fm synthesis etc -- I don't have the knowledge, time,
> interest to work on it.

Understood, but you may have missed the emphasis in my earlier quote,
"whomever takes over audio" meaning "whomever takes over the
management of audio", e.g. someone who is to audio what I am to
installation or David & John are to VM or Garrett is to Networking or
Andrey is to I18N or...  Well, I'm sure you get my point. :-)

I think hacking various improvements into the audio code is fine, and
fixing one bug obviously doesn't mean that one is obligated to fix
_all_ bugs.  However, whomever _takes over_ the audio code, and I
think that someone very desperately needs to, should take it all over
and not just the parts they like.  In other words, if we're going to
advertise any support for music at all, then the audiomeister needs to
worry about music (even if it's only to make sure that someone *else*
is worried about it - that's being the essence of management, after
all :-) as well as DSP support.  That's all I meant.  If you don't
want to be audiomeister then that's understandable, but _someone_
needs to before this code will truly become usable (both for now and
for the future).

> I'll see what I can do. My plans are to do a cleanup of the drivers,
> take away all non-freebsd code, and possibly get rid of all the
> "EXCLUDE_THIS" "INCLUDE_THAT" "SPECIAL_CODE_FOR_MY_BROTHERS_CARD"
> things, and try to make this working with WSS and SB boards.

That would be really nice.  The #ifdef spaghetti in there is totally
disgusting.

> I'll make the code available as soon as possible.

Great, thanks!

					Jordan