Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:03:05 +0800
From:      "Billow T. LUO" <luotao@ust.hk>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   The problem with ACPI and APM on HP omnibook 500

Hello,

I just installed FreeBSD 5.0 release on my HP Omnibook 500. I have
checked the specification of
my laptop, the power system is ACPI 1.0b and APM 1.2. As the handbook of
FreeBSD 5.0 said, FreeBSD support
APM and ACPI now. However, they can't be used at the same time.

When I boot the system, I can find these message: "acpi0: found on
motherboard  [Embedded Control] ...".
Firstly, I add "device apm" in my kernel. After I rebuild the kernel,
and run the system I always get this error
ACPI-0432 Error: handle for [Embedded Control] returned AE_ERROR
ACPI-1287 Error: Method execution failed, AE_AML_NO_RETURN_VALUE
ACPI-1287 Error: Method execution failed, AE_ERROR
In addition, my system power profile always changed between economy and
performance randomly.

Then, I delete "device apm" and add " device acpi0" in my kernel. But I
failed to rebuild the kernel.

Lastly, I deleted "device apm" to rebuild the kernel successfully. But
the ACPI error is still there.

Thanks

Bill