Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 07:59:27 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <hunt@mph124.rh.psu.edu>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ping bug?

On Fri, Sep 05, 1997 at 12:28:28AM -0400, spork wrote:

> very slick tool, but to make a long story short, I was looking at stealing
> the ping they wrote that incorporates a very short ping time.  Perfect for
> checking local hosts or sweeping through a range of IPs to see who's up

Also, fping in /usr/ports/net/fping may be appropriate.

A tool to quickly ping N number of hosts to determine their reachability
without flooding the network.

     fping is different from ping in that you can specify any number of
	 hosts on the command line, or specify a file containing the lists
	 of hosts to ping. Instead of trying one host until it timeouts or
	 replies, fping will send out a ping packet and move on to the next
	 host in a round-robin fashion. If a host replies, it is noted and
	 removed from the list of hosts to check. If a host does not respond
	 within a certain time limit and/or retry limit it will be considered
	 unreachable.

     Unlike ping, fping is meant to be used in scripts and its
     output is easy to parse.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Think locally, act globally.
finger hunt@mph124.rh.psu.edu for PGP public key.