Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:17:27 -0500
From:      Jay Hall <jhall@vandaliamo.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic:  ufs_dirbad

Today, I have tried to install FBSD 4.10 on a Gateway 920 Server
(Celeron 2.4 GHz, 128 MB RAM, 60 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD, two
Intel Pro 10/100/1000 NICs).  In order to make the server work
correctly, I have to boot with hw.hasbrokenint12=1.

After setting up the drive (fdisk and disklabel), the install begins
just as it should.  Shortly after creating the Emergency Holographic
Shell,  when the installation process starts to copy files, I receive a
message stating, "panic:  ufs_dirbad bad dir syncing disks ......."  I
have tried mutiple CDs downloaded from multiple sources with the same
results.  When this happens I am unable to use the shell created on VTY 4.

I am able to install FreeBSD 4.8 without any problems on this system.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jay