Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:47:47 -0400
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stolen BSD code found in Linux kernel

Dave Hayes wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> These statistics aren't wildly inaccurate, just inaccurate.  There's
> some information there. There's a relationship there.

That does not "say it all."

I'm willing to believe the statistics are totally accurate, in the
sense that those particular machines do indeed have those particular
uptimes.  The point is, it would be moronic to base any sort of
decision on those statistics, given

(a) the information they leave out (as their own disclaimer points out),

(b) the systems they can't handle at all (again, as their own
    disclaimer points out)

(c) the fact that the sysadmins involved apparently never upgrade their
    software -- many of those machines seem to be running
    antique versions of Apache with known security holes.  (Possibly
    they've patched the holes without upgrading.  Then again, possibly
    not.)

There are lots of very good reasons to advocate BSD.  This uptime list
isn't one.

- Rahul