Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 15:14:58 -0330 (NST)
From:      John Rochester <jr@cs.mun.ca>
To:        chas <panda@peace.com.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: minimalist /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf Re: Security

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, chas wrote:

> Following the advice of a security book to disable all un-required
> services, I was quite amazed at the default /etc/services for
> FBSD (using 2.1.7). Literally hundreds of weird and wonderful services.
>
> But for a standard webserver, and mailserver for multiple domains, (with
> telnet/ftp access for myself) is there anything else that should be removed ?
> (or worse, anything that shouldn't have been culled)

/etc/services is only a database that converts between the name of a
particular service and the corresponding port number.  There is absolutely
no need to remove anything from this file, since it doesn't determine
whether you are running that service.

> Would disabling discard,chargen,daytime,time have any adverse effects on
> other services ?

No.  They are disabled by default in 2.2.5, if I remember correctly. You
could also look at /etc/sysconfig (I think - it's /etc/rc.conf in 2.2.X)
to see if you have any daemons enabled there that you don't need (like lpd
or sendmail).

john
-----
John Rochester			jr@cs.mun.ca
Dept. of Computer Science
Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada