Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:10:37 +1100
From:      Philip Sydney Lavers <psl02@uow.edu.au>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Linux compatibility problems, 4.8 and 5.1

Gentlemen,

I am a long term user of FreeBSD.

recently i have migrated through 4.2, 4.4 and 4.7 with
wonderful usefulness except that I have never got CUPS or
anything else to drive my CanonS400SP printer. I have a
linux machine in my network just to print things on the
Canon.

This was just a nuisance.

Now I have four new machines with 4.8 in one and 5.1 in the
other three on which I need to run some distributed
processing routines.

To my dismay, Linux compatibility and everything that
depends on it fails both on installation and when I try
manual ports.  Apache ant also fails in the same way.
Also Clusterit would not install.

I am phycisist, not really a computer person, but I need
something like FreeBSd because my trusty DEC Alpha has
finally died.

The machines that I am  using are a PentiumIII and three AMD
Athlons.

I would be grateful to receive any suggestions. I have found
nothing useful on the mailing lists.

I hope you can help me.

Regards, and thanks for this wonderful OS,

Philip Lavers.