Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 19:38:35 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        jehamby@lightside.com, jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot messages (was: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?)

John Fieber writes:

> On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Jake Hamby wrote:
>
> > I also suggest that FreeBSD add a splash screen with clearly printed
> > directions on how to bypass it to see the hardware probes underneath.
>
> The windows 95 splash screen disappears at the press of Escape,
> revealing whatever is going on on the console (not much usually).
> I'd hazzard a guess that anyone clever enough to know what the
> FreeBSD probe messages mean is probably clever enough to figure
> out "Escape" within about 4 keystrokes.  :)

Yes, but as has already been mentioned, the device probes are run with
interrupts off, which means the keyboard press can't be detected?  In which case
I suggest we simply add a boot option to the kernel to disable the splash
screen, or perhaps overload "-v".  Then you can simply put, in small print at
the bottom of the splash screen, "To disable this startup screen, boot with
'-v'."  Sounds good?

-- Jake