Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:19:34 -0600
From:      Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic in pmap_enter

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
> :I rebuilt my -current system this morning and am now getting paincs with
> :both the SMP and non-SMP kernels.  The current panic with a uniprocessor
> :kernel is:
> :
> :panic: pmap_enter: invalid page directory, pdir=0, va=0xc0da0000
> :
> :It occurs right after the output for pci0.  I'm currently sitting at the db>
> :prompt with this kernel.
> :
> :With an SMP kernel, I get the following at the same point in the boot
> :process:
> :
> :panic: pmap_enter: invalid page directory, pdir=0, va=0xc0da3000
>
>     This usually happens when you set kernel resource options that are
>     too high.  If you are setting kernel resource options, try commenting
>     them out.

Well, I did recently add options for shared memory settings to get XFree86
4.0 working better.  It hadn't caused any problems until now though.  I just
tried commenting out those options and recompiling, but I still get the
panic.

>     To get your old kernel to boot you may have to remove your ethernet card.

That's not an option.  ;)  I am, however, using the if_fxp module instead of
compiling the driver into the kernel, so I can avoid loading the module.

> :I can still boot my old kernel (from 3/26), but I get a panic in ifconfig
> :when my Ethernet card (an onboard Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100) is
                             ^^^^^^^

> :configured, so it's not easy for me to get working sources or newer changes.
> :Has anyone else seen this?  I haven't seen much email today because my
> :-current machine is where I normally get my mail.  :(
> :
> : -Patrick
>
>     You can boot the kernel into single user mode.  Interrupt the FreeBSD
>     boot sequence by hitting space, then (typically) type 'boot /kernel -s'
>     (specify a path to your working kernel if not /kernel).

Yes, I know how to get into single-user mode and how to choose kernels at
boot time.  I was a bit vague in what I was trying to do with my old
kernel.  Sorry for any confusion.

 -Patrick