Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:00:55 -0500
From:      Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Juniper Secure Access SSL VPN access from FreeBSD?

On 9/15/2014 11:48 AM, Gary Palmer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 05:20:05PM +0100, Gary Palmer wrote:

>>>   Yep, but all of them based on fact, that it works under Linux. For
>>> example, here are script (jvpn.pl), which emulates browser, but it
>>> loads Linux-specific share object from browser plugin (libncui.so) and
>>> calls Linux binary (ncsvc), and it will not natively work under FreeBSD.
>>>
>>>   Linux emulator is my last resort, but maybe, here are some other ways?
>>
>> Not that work reliably.  I know someone who had to use a Juniper VPN
>> solution and got it working under Linux without any binary plugins,
>> but he went on vacation and when he came back a couple of weeks later
>> he couldn't get it working again and struggled for days before giving up
>> and running Windows in a VM.
>>
>> As best I understand it, it's a standard IPSEC VPN, but getting past the
>> authentication to get to the IPSEC session is the tricky part.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Gary
> You might want to try https://www.shrew.net/download/ike - it claims to
> support Juniper secure gateways and runs on FreeBSD.  I have no idea if it
> works or not.

As I understand it, Juniper has an 'SSL' VPN product that has nothing to
do with IPsec. Juniper abandoned it's IPsec based client in favor of
it's newer 'SSL' based client some time ago. The Shrew Soft product only
supports IPsec based connectivity and is compatible with SSG/SRX systems.

Hope this helps,

-Matthew