Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2007 04:11:06 -0700
From:      "Chris H." <chris#@1command.com>
To:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
Cc:        "\[FBSDS\]" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dumpdev question (probably stupid)

Quoting "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>:

> Chris H. wrote:
>> Given that the server that I need to create a dumpdev on has has a
>> slice dedicated to /var with *more* than adequate space to accommodate
>> the the resources needed for a dumpdev, as well as everything else in
>> /var. Is it enough to simply:
>>
>> # mkdir /var/crash
>> # chmod 700 /var/crash
>>
>> and set *dumpdev* in */etc/fstab* as such?:
>
> No. For the dumpdev in most cases you can use your swap.
> Also you will need a dumpdir - directory where crash will be saved by
> the savecore(8).
> Try this:
> # cat >> /etc/rc.conf
> dumpdev="AUTO"
> dumpdir="/var/crash"
> ^D
> # /etc/rc.d/dumpon start

WOW! Thank you Andrey, for the prompt and informative reply!
It's just like me sometimes, to make things more difficult than
they're intended. :-P

OK then. If I understand you correctly, I simply need to create:
/var/crash (the default)

then correctly set perms:
chmod 700 /var/crash

add the following to /etc/rc.conf:
dumpdev="AUTO"
dumpdir="/var/crash"

bounce the server and ensure that /etc/rc.d/dumpon is started
immediately after the boot process has completed.
Correct?

Thanks again!

--Chris

--