Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 15:53:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3 terabytes on one server? (was Re: more than 32 scsi disks on a  single machine ?)

Brian Tao wrote:
> On Mon, 13 May 1996, Amancio Hasty Jr. wrote:
> >
> > With the above setup it took 1 minute and 5 seconds to fsck my two disks.
>
>     Do you actually see multiple fsck processes though?  According to
> the man page, there should be one per physical disk.  I only see a
> single fsck process, even with 9 disks online.

On my file server here, I have an fstab setup similar to Amancio's
(pass number 1 on /, all others 2) and, following the root fsck,
all 14 of my drives begin to run together.  Its a sight to behold
(though I don't like having to behold it often :-)

> > I hope that you have multiple scsi controllers 8) I just have one
> > adaptec 2940 which is adequate for my 2 scsi disks ...
>
>     On the news server, yes (3 NCR controllers), but not on the FTP
> server.

I am running 2 NCR controllers and 1 Adaptec 3940 with two busses
on that system.  I seem to get pretty good parallelism.

--
Bob Willcox
bob@luke.pmr.com