Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 1998 22:06:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   netmask of 0 not permitted (3.0-current)

<<On Sat, 5 Sep 1998 12:51:30 -0400 (EDT), Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org> said:

> ifconfig ep0 netmask 0.0.0.0
>         inet 192.168.10.21 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255

Right.  You have discovered that the flag to SIOCAIFADDR which means
`I don't know the netmask, take a wild guess' happens to have the bit
pattern all-bits-zero.

> It seems to me that a netmask of 0 is not illegitimate, as I might want to
> have all packets go to the local network.

The only legitimate route with a netmask of zero is the default
route.

> Am I doing something wrong? :)

Pretty evil, if you ask me, but I suspect `route add default
-interface ed0 -cloning' might do the trick.

It sounds like what you really wanted was a script which analyzed
tcpdump output to see who is arping for whom.

-GAWollman