Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 2012 18:19:35 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Reducing the need to compile a custom kernel

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:15:00 +0000 "Bjoern A. Zeeb"
<bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:

> On 10. Feb 2012, at 13:56 , Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > during some big discussions in the last monts on various lists, one
> > of the problems was that some people would like to use
> > freebsd-update but can't as they are using a custom kernel. With
> > all the kernel modules we provide, the need for a custom kernel
> > should be small, but on the other hand, we do not provide a small
> > kernel-skeleton where you can load just the modules you need.
> >
> > This should be easy to change. As a first step I took the generic
> > kernel and removed all devices which are available as modules, e.g.
> > the USB section consists now only of the USB_DEBUG option (so that
> > the module is build like with the current generic kernel). I also
> > removed some storage drivers which are not available as a module.
> > The rationale is, that I can not remove CAM from the kernel config
> > if I let those drivers inside (if those drivers are important
> > enough, someone will probably fix the problem and add the missing
> > pieces to generate a module).
>
> And you completely seem to have missed the discussion about a device
> ID DB and loader being able to probe and load them for you?

This is how I would like FreeBSD to behave, but this is not what I try
to do here. Something like this is not around the corner, a barebones
config file can be done in minutes (if the requirements are known). And
a config file is also much more easy to MFC (and as such addresses the
immediate needs of those which will not change the major version for
some years from now) than a device ID DB and the corresponding changes
in the kernel.

Bye,
Alexander.