Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 2010 14:18:45 -0700
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@speakeasy.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Typical Network Performance

I have a 100 mbps (12,207 KiB/s) home LAN in full-duplex.  A 1 MiB file
transfers at 146.7 KiB/s via wput.  The same file transfers at 91.34
KiB/s via samba.  That's less than 1% of available transfer rate.  Seems
like my transfers are slow.  I do better than that when installing via
the internet.

Does the FTP performance compared to available bandwidth seem right?  Is
the relative performance of samba to FTP right?  I read a couple quick
links on the net which said, "It's complicated."

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells