Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:00:16 -0600
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape Drive Recommendations?

On Wed, Dec 23, 1998 at 02:38:17PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> The silence is deafening, isn't it?  The question is ``reliable''.  I
> find most tape units unreliable.  At the moment I'm still using DDS
> drives, but I haven't had any that have survived more than two years,
> and refurbishing seems to be a waste of money.  General consensus is
> that Travan drives are even worse than DDS or Exabyte, but that may be
> prejudice.
---end quoted text---

Well, I"ve gotten a few responses via email, but we'll see what turns up...

Is anyone familiar with the HP T4 internal "Surestore" drives?  Are they
supported in BSD (no mention in the handbook, but then...)?  Chances are,
I'll probably have to settle for one of those since they are about all I
can afford (the only thing better I"ve seen is the Exabyte 8700LT 8mm
external, and I don't like it precisely *because* it's external and it
looks more like a Sony Walkman than a tape drive).

if nothing else, I may be able to get my hands on two internal exabyte
8mm drives off our old AS/400 at work, but they are *quite* used, and I'd
have a hard time relying on them... especially considering they've been
serviced more times than I can count...

--
drwho @ xnet.com, BOFH  --  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
V xabj jub lbh ner.  V fnj jung lbh qvq.