Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:48:58 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        stuyman@confusion.net (Laurence Berland)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some quickies

On 16 Nov 1999 22:35:36 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>1)  How many scsi hard drives will the system support at once?

I would think you could cram in 15 per SCSI card.  But if you are
considering approaching anywhere near that limit, I would imagine looking
at an external RAID array would make far more sense.

>2)  Is anyone doing work to overcome the 4GB Memory maximum?

Dont know.

>3-4)  <OFFTOPIC>Does anybody have any links to or information regarding
>how much storage space realmedia encoded clips might take up?  Does
>anyone know of good mass storage devices (presumably SCSI-SCSI I
>suppose) that work well with FreeBSD? (And will it look like one drive
>or many?)

One big drive if you like.  For discussions on external RAID boxes, perhaps
browse through the relavant newsgroups (e.g. comp.arch.storage,
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage etc...)  Search through the FreeBSD
mailing archives. This topic has come up several times before, and there
are some excellent informative and well thought out posts.

Remember from the ftp.cdrom.com banner...

230-This machine is a Xeon/500 with 4GB of memory & 1/2 terabyte of RAID 5.
230-NetFRAME 9201 server machine provided by Micron Electronics. Please
visit
230-http://www.micronpc.com/web/walnutcreek.html.

That might be a starting point...

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)