Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 13:03:47 -0700
From:      Jamie Lawrence <jal@ThirdAge.com>
To:        Khan Khalid M <kmk2@mundania.eng.wayne.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request please...

crypt (assuming that's what you're using) uses modified
DES to create a hash of the password and a "salt" - a
semi-random value that ensures that the encrypted value
is unique, or at least very hard to duplicate.

If you're really interested, I suggest Applied Cryptography,
by Bruce Schneier (http://www.counterpane.com/). Crypto is
difficult stuff.

-j