Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:18:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        ismailsyed_99@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clarification sought in FreeBSD

In local.freebsd-questions you write:

>We are using FreeBSD s/w for our mail server.
>As soon as we log in to the 'root' it goes to the
>mail# prompt.
>And keeps throwing in the following error.

>"Mail popper[327]: (V2.53) Unable to get canonical
>name of client, err=0."

>I would really appreciate if someone throw some light
>on this. Thank you in advance.

From past experience, I seem to recall that this is due to the pop
server (qpopper) failing to do reverse DNS lookups of connecting
clients.  It logs this message to sy   slog, using some level and
facility that by default is configured (see /etc/syslog.conf) to be
sent to the console.

Options to get rid of this message include:

 - Fix DNS.  May not be possible if you don't handle the network
   where clients connect from.

 - Reconfigure syslog not to send these messages to the console.

 - Press Alt+Fn to switch to another virtual console and ignore the
   messages.  I think (not sure, though) that only the first two or so
   get these syslog messages.

 - Remove the messages from the qpopper source and recompile.

No, I can't think of any reason why these messages would be useful,
but then again, what do I know?

    $.02,
    /Mikko
--