Date:      16 Aug 2002 09:47:30 -0400
From:      Jim Frost <jimf@frostbytes.com>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.6 rl0 and xl0 watchdog timeout problems (and solution)

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 09:03, Charles Swiger wrote:
> It's not entirely clear that you want to hear that there were easier ways of
> installing everything (or some other high-level choice), but there were.
> Try performing a custom installation, which lets you select from the
> following distribution types:

Ahh, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!  I don't really
think that putting the canned configurations in "custom" is the right
thing to do (to me that's the opposite of "custom"), but at least it's
there.

> You should also take a look in /usr/ports.  Try building something that has
> a lot of dependencies (ie, something you previously had to scour the net to
> hunt down a half-dozen libraries that the software expects to use).

Yes, ports is /great/.

> As for configuring X, FreeBSD uses XFree86 (v4.2.0, IIRC), just like Linux
> does.  One difference is that many companies have released Linux drivers,
> but not *BSD ones, so there is some difference in 3D hardware acceleration
> support for OpenGL, but any reasonable video card should implement VESA
> modes which will at least be functional under X for normal (2D) stuff.

My problem with X was that the configurator locked the system in the
middle of the install.  That might be a result of me picking the
cheapest possible videocard I could find :-).  X server support is not
really necessary so I can live with that.

Thanks for your feedback,

jim