Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2020 14:48:21 -0800
From:      Ihor Antonov <ihor@antonovs.family>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life
References:  <CAFYkXjmZi1-MB6W0HsMx9gHek7Xg5heoSKKWkNTnw74dxRTwAw@mail.gmail.com> <85E7C97E-EF8B-4FC7-8EF1-758B7BCBAE90@kreme.com> <20200218183010.5a52441f.freebsd@edvax.de> <CAFYkXjm%2Bav5Ky5dVV9vuuSpW%2Bpw2AcpzhC1aWfHP=iKNmuWXVA@mail.gmail.com> <20200218205940.04917783.freebsd@edvax.de> <20200219052643.7bd90d3c@scorpio> <CAPyFy2CwY4t7Syf8oXtFPzWQqjdy9iY%2B1EkhZjuuoVzvW2sZGQ@mail.gmail.com> <20200219130628.457f8953@scorpio> <CAPyFy2BAEQpGkLo43rH5r9GA_09qbX30VKhrdeXsNT_rasGfaQ@mail.gmail.com> <20200219134740.0df09817@scorpio>

> On 2020-02-19 13:47, Jerry wrote:

> It worked before; they broke it when updating.
> If it had never worked, I might have considered donating a piece of
> equipment to assist them, but this is obviously not that sort of
> problem.

Do you assume that developers have access to all possible hardware? Is
it possible that it worked on your hardware before accidentally, wihout
ever being tested explicitly?

Secondly, do you assume that developers have time/possibility to test all
possible configurations? (Not even talking about "Works on my machine"
scenarios")

> Obviously, the product was not properly beta tested. I have beta tested
> things for several companies, including Microsoft. If something goes
> really wrong, I have a phone number to call for assistance. That
> doesn't exist with FBSD, which is why I NRVER user version X.0 of any
> of their releases. I did feel that by the tine they got to X.1 they
> would have ironed out the major bugs. Obviously, not true in this case.

Do you think that someone else has to beta-test the release for you?

> So, to answer your question, what I suggest is to wait until 13.1 is
> released. If that doesn't work, I will just wait until 11.x is put out
> to pasture and then move onto a new OS.

I am sorry, I might be misreading this, and correct me if I am wrong,
but all this screams entiteled attitude to me and is deeply
wrong.

If nobody tries X.0 release X.1 will never get stable. Your hardware
does not work? Fix it or help someone fix it.

You want a stable OS release? Use CURRENT, then STABLE, then X.0
release and fix/report bugs, only then you will get a good X.1 release.

Or pay someone to do it for you.
In community project the least everybody can do is be a tester.

Waiting for someone to do all the hard work and then just hop on X.1
release and then complain that your hardware does not work is simply
selfish.

And in that context calling "absurd" the idea to let a developer
have access to hardware that you need to work is... ugh.. I have no
words for it...

Ihor Antonov