Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        acpi-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: ACPI CHANGES AFFECTING MOST -CURRENT USERS

>Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:58:59 -0700
>From: Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>

>The loader now detects ACPI in your system, and loads the ACPI
>module if it is present.  This has major ramifications for the
>device probe and attach phases of system initialisation.

Flushed with the success of getting today's -CURRENT running on my build
system:

freebeast[8] uname -a
FreeBSD freebeast.catwhisker.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #16: Thu Aug 30 09:12:22 PDT 2001     root@freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S3/obj/usr/src/sys/FREEBEAST  i386

I proceeded to do likewise with my laptop.

However, that machine needed a little more assistance, so I'm sending
this note out to provide a clue for others who might be similarly situated.

The mainstream laptop to which mine is most similar is a Dell i5000e;
it's actually made by Compal (who makes them for several vendors);
details on the machine may be found at
http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/laptop.html.

The symptom is that during boot, after the acpi.ko module is loaded, the
boot process hangs, with the last several lines (in verbose mode) displayed
being:

pci_open(1):    mode 1 addr port (0x0cf8) is 0x80003904
pci_open(1a):   mode1res=0x80000000 (0x80000000)
pci_cfgcheck:   device 0 [class=060000] [hdr=00] is there (id=71908086)
Using $PIR table, 7 entries at 0xc00fdf50
npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
acpi0: <COMPAL N38W2  > on motherboard

A brute-force circumvention is to do an "unset acpi_load" before you
get to that point, but that rather defeats the purpose.  (It's still
useful to know about it, though.)

A slightly less brute-force approach (from a note that John Baldwin
sent out to -mobile back on 22 Feb 2001) is to place the line

debug.acpi.avoid="_SB_.PCI0.PX40.SIO_"

in /boot/loader.conf -- and that done:

m147[4] uname -a
FreeBSD m147.whistle.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #107: Thu Aug 30 11:16:02 PDT 2001     root@m147.whistle.com:/common/C/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386

(Now to research ways of achieving the functionality I had with APM....)

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.