Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:11:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 32 bit questions

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > FreeBSD can  handle over 5000 cgi requests an hour
>
> 	*cough* My bank of CGI processing machines handle 2-3 per second,
> each. This is on dual PIII 500's with mega ram.

How complex are your CGI?  trivial CGI apps here run 10 per second on a
pentium 233 with 64MB ram that also happens to be my workstation, or 2 per
second when a regular CGI in perl that uses CGI.pm (a fairly heavy startup
penalty).

I strongly recommend FCGI (or something similar) when you need speed with
your CGI scripts, especially when they're in perl.