Date:      Thu, 09 Sep 1999 22:44:16 -0400
From:      "James E. Housley" <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A Challenge

I have been presented with a challenge.  For a local school we have
"won" putting in FreeBSD as firewall between the cable modem and the
rest of the school network.  Our opponent is last years IT commitee
chair, who was booted because he was a jerk and wouldn't do things they
was the school wanted.  He wanted to spend about $10K on an NT box with
some firewall package.

Now the details:

I have about 5 years experance with FreeBSD.  I am running it at home
connected to a cable modem.  My server is fairly secure from the
outside.  I periodically read and act upon the builins from CERT, etc.

The box is just going to be running NATD and IPFW, maybe DHCLIENT.

Mr. NT is been told he can try and break-in, crash what ever this box
from the internet side.

I am asking for links, pointer to make sure this is configured as
secure/solid as possible.  I will be installing 3.3-STABLE over this
weekend (9/11/1999).  I really want to make sure we win.

Thanks for all help

Jim.
--
 James E. Housley                            PGP:   1024/03983B4D
 System Supply, Inc.                         2C 3F 3A 0D A8 D8 C3 13

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed
FreeBSD"