Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:34:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Open Systems Inc." <opsys@omaha.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changing the output of uname?

	I was wondering if it is possible to change the name output of
uname to report a different OS?

	We bought some security software (Modified NFR) but it only
supports OpenBSD. I *can* install OpenBSD but I really really really do
not want to loose IPSTEALTH, Fast Forwarding, etc.. on a FreeBSD box.
Since this is a security gateway. I would like it to remain invisble and
FAST. Netiher of which im convinced OBSD is able to do. But the main point
is the CDROM install media has a simple script that looks for BSDI, OBSD,
or solaris. The only binary app it installs is a modified kernel to the
target OS. I dont care about that. I just want to know if I can change the
uname output to report OpenBSD rather than FreeBSD and work around the
install program?

	This may sound like a lot of effort but I am going to try
everything I can to keep FreeBSD as the OS. I realy don't want to be stuck
placing an OpenBSD box at my border with a T-3 connection. I want my
ipstealth and fast forwarding! :-)

Thanks
Chris