Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 11:27:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        wayne@crb-web.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poll() vs select()

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> On Jul 07, 1999 at 01:01:07AM -0400, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
>
> > > As for new code, use whichever you are comfortable with.  Personally, I
> > > would recommend poll(), since it provides some added functionality over
> > > select() that makes for easier programming.
> >
> > poll() is a huge pain to use, which is why I recommend select().
>
> Whichever you're comfortable with.  poll() isn't a pain once you know
> how to use it, and it does bring additional benefits.

I don't see how you can not find poll() a pain when compared to select(). It
requires so much set-up, much like (for instance) aio_write() as opposed to
write(). I suppose if you're masochistic, you won't mind doing that :)

> --
> Jonathan

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/