Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 09:28:22 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Magnus Lundquist <magnus@frozen.nu>
Cc:        Gene Wright <genew@home.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnome 1.2 & gnomecore 1.4??

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 08:39:06AM +0200, Magnus Lundquist wrote:
> A quick fix (probably not the best one) is to do what I did:
>
> ln -s libgnomeui.so.5 libgnomeui.so.4

That, quite frankly, is mind-bogglingly bad.

I'll say this one more time.  Update your ports.  Look at x11/gnome/Makefile.
Notice how the PORTVERSION is 1.4, and not 1.2.  Notice how a whole
bunch of other GNOME ports have been updated.

Do NOT intermix GNOME 1.2 and GNOME 1.4 -- remove all traces of
GNOME 1.2 from your system.  If this is problematic, grab a 4.3-RELEASE
CD, do a binary reinstall of your entire system, grab the latest ports
tree, then cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome; make install clean and wait a few
hours.  Then start adding your other GNOME-related ports back.

> It worked for most of my gnomeapps, but for some like yamt it didn't.

See above.

> Like I said, it is not the appropriate way to do it, but that is
> what did it for me.

Please.  Bad advice is *much* worse than no advice at all.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			       ade@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/