Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:14:21 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: repost: owner is unable to delete print job

At 8:25 PM -0500 2/10/02, Bill Moran wrote:
>I posted this a few days ago and have gotten no replies so far.
>
>Samba set up as a print server on FreeBSD.  All users mapped to
>"nobody" but nobody can't delete a print job once it's created it.
>lpq show that the print job belongs to nobody, but if user nobody
>tries to lprm it, permission is denied.
>
>I believe I've determined that this is _not_ a samba problem, as
>I tweaked the nobody account to allow login and tried deleting
>print jobs from the console.  lpq shows the job belonging to
>"nobody", but lprm returns "permission denied".
>
>Is there anything special about the "nobody" user that would cause
>this?

I meant to reply back then, but I didn't have the time to recheck
the source code.  My guess is that 'nobody' is a bad name to use
for such things.  'nobody' means 'nobody', it does not mean "guest
userid that everyone uses".  That's why nobody is setup so that it
does not allow you to log into it.

I haven't looked at the lpd source code yet to make sure that is
true, but that's kind of what I would expect.  If that is the case,
then you'd want to create some other userid for those jobs to come
in as, and then map everyone to that 'guest' account.  Note that
this will result in everyone being able to delete everyone else's
job.