Date:      Wed, 07 May 1997 12:19:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-SCSI@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:  Privileged Instruction Fault...

The plot thikens.  Here are some new findings.  These only confuse me.

*  2 Kernels.  Identical in all respects (All from RELENG_2_2 of this
               morning (but the problem existed last night on a week old
               tree).
* The only difference is:  Kernel A has in line 568 of sys/scsi/scsi_base.c:

        retval = (*(sc_link->adapter->scsi_cmd)) (xs);

  This is the normal, standard code.

  Kernel B has in the same line:

printf("%s-%d %p(%p)\n", __FILE__, __LINE__, sc_link->adapter->scsi_cmd,
       xs);

        retval = (*(sc_link->adapter->scsi_cmd)) (xs);
printf("%s-%d\n", __FILE__, __LINE__);

  (I am printing out the values of the function pointer and the argument,
xs).

At boot time, kernel A panics with:

dpt0: waiting for scsi devices to settle
dpt0: Select Timeout  < generated by the driver for non-existing devices >

1281                  < line number in the driver, just before return from
                        dpt_scsi_cmd, called by the above line in
scsi_base.c >

Fata trap 1: Privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode.

IP = 0x08:0xf01940c7
SP = 0x10:0xefbffd50
FP = 0x10:0xefbffd68

And kernel B panics with:

scsi_base.c-567 0xf0ib82a4(0xf088ba80)  < This is the printf >

Fault address 0x41

IP = 0x08:0xf01c2f32
SP = 0x10:0xefbffce0
FP = 0x10:0xefbffd48

Now go figure... :-)

All of this worked last night!  Really!

It is something I do, that is for sure.  If you want to look at the stuff,
please look at sendero-ppp.i-connect.net (206.190.143.100).
Get in as anon-ftp and look in /crash.

Thanx a million for any help.

Simon