Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:07:51 -0800
From:      "konsu" <konsu@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how to set up a network?

hello,

my setup is going to be:

1. windows xp machine with NIC connected to a hub
2. freebsd machine with NIC connected to the same hub
3. the hub is connected to a dsl modem

1. i am going to use the freebsd system for web server development.
   but i do not want to pollute the server with unnecessary browser
   installations, so i would like to be able to browse to my freebsd
   site from IE on the windows system. but the site does not need to
   be visible from outside of my little network.

2. i need to be able to copy files from my freebsd machine to XP.

3. i assume that since i have a hub, my machines can connect to the
   internet independently.

please point me to the right resources as to how to set this up.
i have no clue which technology to research. do i need any extra
software in addition to the basic OS setup? i would really prefer
to not use any extra stuff.

thanks!
konstantin