Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 14:31:06 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Jesus Rodriguez <jesusr@ncsa.es>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: faq.sgml

On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 03:13:13PM +0100, Jesus Rodriguez wrote:
> I'm trying to find the last version of faq.sgml (i have what comes with
> 2.2.5 cd distribution in cvs repository cd). Where can i find it ??.

You need to keep -current with the FreeBSD Documentation. Hopefully,
the documentation at

    <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook239.html>;

is sufficient (that's the "Synchronising source trees over the Internet"
section).

I recommend CVSup, and if you decide to use it you'll want a supfile
that looks something like

    *default host=cvsup.freebsd.org
    *default prefix=/usr/local/cvs-reps/FreeBSD
    *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
    *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress

    src-all
    doc-all

Be aware: That will download the CVS repositories for all the source
and all the documentation. That's about 700MB of data on your disk.
If you just want to get the documentation CVS repository, and just get
the latest source code you want to change the last two lines to something
like

    src-all tag=. prefix=/usr
    doc-all

> Another thing... what does Attic mean ??.

It's where CVS puts files that have been removed. When you remove a file
using CVS it's removed from your directory. However, CVS needs to keep
track of the file somewhere, since you might (at a later point in time)
checkout a version of the code prior to your removal of that file.

So CVS moves the file to a directory called "Attic".

Hope that makes sense.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?