Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:03:21 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        barry@lustig.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Failure during Amanda Backup (Unexpected busfree)

In message <19990420153315.2118.qmail@devious.lustig.com>, Barry
Lustig writes:
>   First the problem:  Starting on 4/3, my amanda backups have started
> failing.  At the point of failure the following appears on the console:
> I am using all 3 SCSI connectors on the motherboard.  The 50 pin connector
> connects only the CDROM, which is properly terminated.  The 68pin Ultra
> connector goes to the back of the machine where the DLT connects to it via a
>
> cable.  It also, is properly terminated.  The 2 disk drives are internal and
>
> are connected to the Ultra2 connector with the Adaptec Ultra2 cable (with
> terminator on the end).

This controller has a single bus.  The manual (actually a pamphlet)
for my brand new 2940U/UW states that you can connect devices to
any two of the three connectors.  This makes sense because you can
only have two ends to the bus.  Using three cables you'd have three
ends.  I'm surprised it works as well as you describe.  I would
have expected filesystem corruption.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC