Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:22:17 -0500
From:      Adam Vandemore <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuild of Kernel to burn DVD failed

Kayven Riese wrote:
> I was trying to burn a DVD
>
> KV_BSD# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/acd0 -J -R disk1
> :-( unable to CAMGETPASSTHRU for /dev/acd0: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> KV_BSD#
>

> I have had this problem before, but since then I believe I have a new HD
> that runs
>
> KV_BSD% uname -a
> FreeBSD KV_BSD 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Mar 24 20:09:28 PDT
> 2009     root@KV_BSD:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/KAYVE_KERN  i386
> KV_BSD%
>
> The fact that I am running KAYVE_KERN now is slightly confusing to me
> because I thought the build failed.  I am attaching a file
> called "makesplat.log" which is my personal convention for a typescript that
> records everything spit (splatted) out by the make command.
>
> My laptop is an ASUS M6800N
>
> http://www.monkeyview.net/id/965/fsck/dmesg/PB12001901.vhtml
>
> here is the dmesg for the DVD burner
>

> KV_BSD# dmesg | grep DVD
> acd0: DVDR <TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-L532A/TC51> at ata1-master UDMA33
> cd0: <TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L532A TC51> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
> KV_BSD#
>

> *----------------------------------------------------------*
>  Kayven Riese, BSCS,
>                      MS  (Physiology and Biophysics)
>  (415) 902 5513 cellular
>  http://kayve.net
>  Webmaster http://ChessYoga.org
> *----------------------------------------------------------*

Also a little tip on dmesg stuff.  Generally it's a bit easier for the
list to read it in text format so it's a couple ways for you to get it
in that format easily.

A command like dmesg | mail -s "dmesg output" you@example.com with email
you the output of dmesg provided basics like internet connectivity and
sendmail are working.

A command like dmesg > ~/dmesg.log will dump dmesg output to a file
called dmesg.log  in your home directory.  You can attach it to an
email, or transfer to somewhere you can via sneakernet, internet, or
*net.  Might save you a bit of time.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator