Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 18:11:58 +0200
From:      "Pascal Giannakakis" <capm@gmx.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can i control FreeBSD with my (TV) remote control?

Lo,

Is it possible to control a FreeBSD-box with a remote control?

I just bought a programmable IR-RC for 10 EUR which can control up to 8
devices, and wonder if i can use it to control volume or other apps such as
xmms.* However, my PC does not have IR build in.

- Is there a list with supported IR-hardware (RS232) for FreeBSD? Or are
they all following a standard, so that i can plug in everything?

- Can i use any IR-code of the programmable IR-RC?

- What software do you recommend?

If you have made it already, please tell me how and where i can find some
sort of tutorial.

Thanx a bunch!

* I'm a programmer, so if i can map an incoming IR-event to some
shell-script or something, i'll be OK. Don't need predefined firlefanz. DIY
r00leZ! =)