Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:04:58 -0800
From:      randy // fBSD <freebsd@randys.org>
To:        Igor Vieira Debacker <igor@viamax.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Auto Startup

On 1/22/01,  Igor Vieira Debacker wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Every time i re-start my freeBSD i need to type this line
>
> kldload ipwf --> to start the firewall
>
> and then i need to re-type the rulez...
>
> how can i make it do it by itself..
>
> i used to know in slackware.. but in FreeBSD it is different...
>
> thanx in advance

I'm no expert, but I think you need to compile the ipfw into the kernel so that it
loads at boot then create a config file with all your rules in it.

kernel stuff:
options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE # for logging
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options IPDIVERT

then you need to add some stuff to your rc.conf file:
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/firewall/fwrules" #file for rules
natd_enable="YES"

That's the general idea...here are a couple of links to get you started:
Firewall using PPP but I'm sure could be used/modified for your specific purposes
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/dialup-firewall/index.html

http://www.defcon1.org/html/NATD-config/firewall-setup/ipfw-1.html

Hope that helps a bit...you prolly want to do this all in console...or you could
potentially lock yourself out.

-randy