Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 01:57:27 -0400
From:      David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   java newbie question

I am starting out running jdk 1.3.1.01 and I am utilizing Walter Savitch's
book on Java.

While my "Hello World" program compiles & runs fine, the first example in his
book utilizes a required class file. (SavitchIn.java)

The first tutorial, FirstProgram.java, calls class "SavitchIn"
and method "readLineNonwhiteChar", but I get the error;

bash-2.03$ javac FirstProgram.java
FirstProgram.java:10: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : variable SavitchIn
location: class FirstProgram
        answerLetter = SavitchIn.readLineNonwhiteChar();

It seems it cannot find the class file SavitchIn. I thought that
could be handled by setting the CLASSPATH variable, but I have
tried several settings with no change in result. Walter's book does
not cover this, and neither does the Java tutorial I have found
for starting with Sun java.

I have an idea that the answer here is a simple one...

The program follows; (the problem wouldn't be the ^M's would it?)

public class FirstProgram^M
{^M
    public static void main(String[] args)^M
    {^M
        System.out.println("Hello out there.");^M
        System.out.println("Want to talk some more?");^M
        System.out.println("Answer y for yes or n for no.");^M
^M
        char answerLetter;^M
        answerLetter = SavitchIn.readLineNonwhiteChar();^M
        if (answerLetter == 'y')^M
               System.out.println("Nice weather we are having.");^M
^M
        System.out.println("Good-bye.");^M
^M
        System.out.println("Press enter key to end program.");^M
        String junk;^M
        junk = SavitchIn.readLine();^M
    }^M
}