Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:52:42 -0400
From:      "Paul Horechuk" <phorechuk@docucom.ca>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Linux emulation

I am currently running FreeBSD stable v3.5, as a result of a successful
upgrade via cvsup. I've installed the linux_base-6.1 and several other
libraries from the various linux packages. I needed RedHat 6.1 emulation to
install an Amiga SDK (see www.amiga.com). At first this was failing due to
missing the lingtk_1.2.so.6 (or something real close to that). After
locating the appropriate package from ftp.ca.freebsd.org, the SDK was able
to run. Now, when I supply my developer ID to obtain a System ID, the
program returns a "not available" message and a socket error about a missing
protocol.

The Amiga developer team suggested that I take the question here, hoping
that someone may know more about the protocols required for the Linux
emulation. The process involves querying the network card (Netgear FX310A)
for its MAC address. The card DOES work, and is providing on demand internet
access via the tun0 device, to a Win95 station. I can use the Linux Netscape
software for internet access on this FreeBSD box.

Although Linux emulation has been configured in the kernel and Linux
software does run, are there changes since FreeBSD 3.5 that would require an
upgrade to 4.x?

More information is available on request, but I need a direction to pursue.

Thanks.